Friday 6 July 2012

Some views on seasons.Post Nr 5, 6 july 2012

You lucky people in the Northern hemisphere!  Enjoying your summer?  Down here, it's a miserably wet cool winter.  Daily maxima of approximately 10 Degree Celsius, nights of  mostly 4-8  degrees. True, not extreme by Northern standards, but for locals it's quite unpleasant. Of course, just to bring this into perspective, Alice Springs, in the HOT centre of Australia, is currently "enjoying" night minima of -4C.  Compare that to their summer daily maxima of 40+ C, with night temperatures of 10-15C. To convert these to Fahrenheit, a quick rule of thumb is; double the C, add 30.   Why am I writing about this?  Well, I seem to be waiting for authors to come back to work!  It appears to me that all of them are on "Summer Break".  It's easy for me to talk about 'The Alice", as I have worked in that part of the country for three and a half years. Radio receprtion almost zero, TV? What's that? If one is very lucky, a vague image comes through. If you live more than 100 miles from  Alice Springs township, it requires a very tall aerial.  Where I'm going with this, is to say that unless you are a reader, it gets boring for anyone who has some cognitive brain function. That's one reason my English is so good, I read to retain my sanity.
The local wildlife is not very varied, (Dromedary camels, goats, snakes, lizards, the ubiquitous dingo, and the occasional kangaroo), and as such, there's not much hunting. Fishing is non existent unless there is a 1 in 100 year rainfall. Of course, to do anything like this, one needs to obtain permission to do so from the local indigenous tribe first!
With this slack time, I've become so bored, I've resorted to writing poetry. Expect to see some on a sidebar soon. This does not mean I have stopped editing, it's just a way to showcase my (English) linguistic flexibility, my warped sense of humour, and the way I pick up writers' faux pas. Hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm here via Yvonne's blog. Your comment and poem there so intrigued me as did your name, Robert Van de Laak, Dutch by the sound of things. I'm drawn to all things and people who are Dutch. My parents were born in Holland and I have a close connection to that country. Anyhow it's good to meet you and I shall enjoy travelling through your blog and your quirky sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete